Thursday, April 3, 2008

Look Dad! No Cavities!!

Clayton went to the dentist today for his first real check-up. He has been to the dentist's office several times (because that's where Grammy works), but this was the first time he got to be the patient! He did so great!
It started out a little rough. He needed to get x-rays of his teeth, and he was not interested! I went first and got some done to show him that they were "fun", but he was not fooled. I had to sit in the chair with him on my lap, restrained by my arms and legs, in order to get the x-rays done. Actually, he only really whined about the first x-ray. By the time Grammy went to get the second one he realized that it wasn't that big of a deal and he handled it wonderfully!
Then he got to go into a special room with Grammy to have his teeth cleaned. Basically they just brushed really well and used a floride rinse (he's still too young for a real "in depth" cleaning). He was so good that he got a sticker!
Finally, Dr. Peterson (my incredible Uncle Mark) came in. They looked at Clayton's "tooth pictures" and counted his teeth. He was a little apprehensive about sitting in the big yellow chair and having the dentist come at his mouth with tools, but again, he was amazing. He sat with his mouth open and let Dr. Peterson do his thing with almost no complaining! Impressive!
My Uncle Mark was my dentist my whole life (still is) and he has this great way of making kids love the dentist. I have always loved the dentist and I think that, now, Clayton will too! I am so proud of him, he did much better than I could have imagined!! Way to go Clayton!!
Here are the pictures of the big event:
He got to sit in the big yellow chair and brush the big teeth.

So of course, little brother needed a turn!

Here is Grammy showing Clayton his "tooth pictures".

Here is Clayton getting his teeth counted by Dr. Peterson. He was so brave! (notice how involved Noah tried to be...this is becoming a regular occurance, he follows Clayton EVERYWHERE!)

Noah was so sweet at the dentist. I just love this picture of him!

When he was all done, he got a toy for being such a great patient. Grammy was hoping he'd choose this:

(Don't worry Justin...he put that crown right back and chose a monster truck!)
We had such a great time at the dentist today. And, best of all, NO CAVITIES!! Yay! Great job Clayton!

10 comments:

The Jones Fam said...

Wow, it does sound like he did a great job! I'm definately not looking forward to the day when I have to take Jaylee. I don't even like going to the Dentist! It sounds like you guys are having tons of fun! Don't you just love the weather! We were at the park today and it was almost too warm!

. said...

All I can say is Dr. Peterson is the greatest kids dentist ever! Thanks for having such a great uncle and I was bummed not to get to see your mom last week when we took the girls in!

Nat said...

Clayton was so brave! Niah goes to the dentist for the first time next week. I think it helped her to not be so nervous when she saw Clayton's pictures. She is excited to go now!

Kerstin said...

Glad everything went well at the dentist. I love all the pictures and Noah is so cute trying to get in on the action. I love the crown but for the sake of Justin I am glad that Clayton picked the monster truck :).

Amanda said...

What age do kids start going to the dentist? Ella is definitely going to freak. I go back to work on Thursday but call me and we can do lunch and the park!!! 281-6738.

Erica said...

Way to go with no cavities! I can't believe he didn't freak out! What a fun dentist office. I love the crown.

Cherine said...

I am laughing about the Monster truck thing...haha
He is a brave boy!!!

Katie said...

That's great Clayton is cavity free. Ryan would be proud. Those are some awesome toys, by the way. I was lucky to get a new toothbrush at the dentist!

The Bryner Bunch said...

No cavities...way to go Clayton(and mommy)! That picture of Noah by the big yellow chair is so sweet...what a little angel:)

Anonymous said...

What an event--first dentist visit! I am so glad he did so well! It is great to have family to help your kids ease into stuff like this. I can't tell you how happy I am that Matt is our dentist (one less thing to worry about!)

Cute pics!