Friday, October 16, 2009

Field Trip

Last week I was fortunate enough to chaperone Clayton's class field trip to Chapin Apple Orchard. It was actually the second field trip his class has taken but their first trip was to a play and there weren't enough tickets so they didn't take parent chaperones (sad). I was so excited to be able to go and when I showed up in Clayton's classroom, Clayton's face lit up and he got so excited that I was there. So worth it!

The day was cold and threatening rain so I was really worried about this trip seeing as how the orchard is (obviously) an outside thing, but the rain held so that was good. I was really grateful that I'd bundled Clayton up for the trip. He was so cute and so excited about this trip.
The first thing Clayton's class did was learn about apple cider and how to make it. We all got to drink some of their fresh cider. SOO delicious!

Next, they learned about apple trees. What it takes for them to grow, what they look like at different times throughout the year, how bees help the process (Mrs. Brown got dressed up like a bee to help the kids learn about the parts of a bee's body), and how they protect the trees in their orchard so that their trees are as healthy as possible.
They learned songs about apple trees and got to watch a hive of bees. Molly, their tour guide, was so good with the kids. They really learned a lot from her.
Clayton's class. That's right - his whole class. There was one kid absent. Apparently if they get more than 17 in a class it's huge. There is also a full time aid in each kindergarten classroom. I have to, once again, say how much I LOVE the schools out here. It's enough to make me wish we could stay here.
You could see some great fall leaves from the orchard. Yes, it gets really cold here, but I'm really going to miss the beauty of Vermont. I've never lived anywhere so picturesque.
Clayton loves his teacher. She is the perfect kindergarten teacher. On this trip I was able to witness how much she loves she loves all these kids - even though she's only been with them a month. If I can't be with Clayton all day, I'm really glad that she can.
Apple picking.
Clayton with one of his apples. The kids actually took the apples that they picked back to their classroom and saved them for a few days and then used them to make applesauce and apple muffins for open house. They were yummy!!
Me and Clayton.

We finished the trip by eating lunch at the orchard and getting on the bus just as the rain started to fall. I feel so blessed that I am able to do things like this with Clayton!

4 comments:

Kerstin said...

How fun! It looks like such a fun field trip. I am excited to oneday get to go on field trips with my kids.

Megan said...

Before I read the part you wrote about this being his "whole class," I had seriously JUST been thinking, "There's NO way this is his whole class!?!?" How nice!!! I can only imagine how much kindergartners might actually learn in a class that size.

And the trip sounds like a ton of fun too. How neat you got to go with them!

Loupe and Aaron said...

What a fantastic field trip- I wish I had gone! That is awesome the schools out there are so nice. Poor Clark County.

Ellsworth Family said...

Looks like a fantstic field trip, I cannot wait for the homemade apple sause:) Also, I must say Clayton is the cutest one in his class!!!