Friday, March 16, 2012

It's been three days...

...and the potty training is going pretty well. We had two pretty rough days. Josie wasn't doing too bad, but the first few days of potty training are always pretty intense for me. No matter how ready my kids have been (and they've all been pretty ready) those first few days require me to be on constant 'potty watch'. I am constantly asking/reminding the child to use the potty, watching for the 'potty dance', physically carrying them to the toilet if I have to, and I ask the question, "Where do we go pee-pee?" so many times that I want to vomit a little every time I have to say it. I feel almost as if I'm potty training myself more than the child.

I was starting to regret my desicion to potty train (I have done this with the boys at first as well - so it's no reflection on Josie). Today, however, the light magically seemed to come on (as it did with the boys) and all of a sudden, Josie was on a roll! She was telling me that she had to go, taking herself to the bathroom, and calling to me when she was done (because who doesn't want a houseful of people staring at what you've done in the toilet and cheering loudly for you?). No accidents today!

I know there is still work to do and accidents in our future (not to mention I haven't even bothered with night training yet) but I think we're finally on our way. One of the things about potty training the third child that has been immeasurably helpful has been the boys. Oh, they LOVE to praise her and celebrate with her. They are the first ones to get her a treat for her success and they cheer louder and hug better than anyone else. She adores the boys and their praise has made all the difference this time around. I love that they are so supportive of each other. I am finally at the point where I feel like we can do this! I'm hoping that one or two more days of intense work and we'll be ready to re-enter the real world (which we're aching to do because it is GORGEOUS outside). 

As I've watched Josie these past few days there have been a few images that have made me smile and laugh. As frustrating as potty training always is for me, I do have to say that seeing my little one in a pair of 'big kid' undies is a really cute little sight.
 Cute little bum.
Josie is definitely our fashion plate diva. She changes outfits every chance she gets and is constantly accessorizing. I'm loving the look of the beanie (in 70 degree weather). **Side note - just in case you're wondering - yes, the toddler potty is in my family room. When I first start potty training I always start with the potty right in front of the TV. It just makes things a little easier. Once we're more confident I'll move it into the bathroom (probably Sunday or Monday). So don't judge; this has worked wonderfully for me for three kids now and I'm not changing it!**
Bottom line, I'm proud of Josie. She's doing well and progressing fabulously. I can feel myself de-stressing and it's wonderful. Hopefully we can continue on this way and we'll be all done in no time! Here's to only buying diapers for one kid! Wa-hoo!

1 comment:

Jen said...

OK, we really will need to talk when I start potty training Nadine (in 6-ish months, or more; no rush on my end). The potty in the front room for a week?! Genius! I love that idea.

Also, she does look so cute in her big girl undies. She's getting so big.