Tuesday, April 22, 2014

5!!!

Josie turned 5 last week. It amazes me how quickly time passes. I remember when she was two, and Noah turned five. I specifically remember looking at Josie and thinking, 'she'll never be that old, I just can't picture it'. And now here we are. This sassy, independent, lovable baby:
Has become this sassy, independent, and loveable girl:
We partied, oh did we party. But I'll post about that later. Right now I want to post a few things about this five year old girl:
-She is independent. She has her own mind and her own ideas about everything! She's a girl who always knows exactly what she wants and isn't afraid to say it. Sometimes it's frustrating, but mostly I love it. This is also the number one thing people comment on when they meet Josie. I think it's a great thing and will really serve her well as she gets older. I hope and pray she stays this way.
-She's beautiful...and she knows it. She's a girl who likes who she is. She is confident in every aspect of her being. She likes how she looks, she likes how she dresses, she likes who she is. Sometimes I worry that she'll loose this. I want her to stay confident. I want her to continue to love herself exactly as she is and not have the desire to change for anyone. If her five year old self is any indication of her fifteen year old self, I'm not going to have to worry at all about peer pressure or body image issues.
-She's a princess, a diva, and a girly girl. She loves dresses that twirl, princesses in any form, things that sparkle, the colors pink and purple, and basically anything stereotypically girly. I hear a lot of moms with daughters who shun the idea of girly-ness because they think (I don't know) that it will make their daughters weak minded or destined for a life of disappointment because they're not actually a princess or something. But I know my girl. She loves what she loves and she'd love it no matter what. I think it's empowering to let her be who she is whether that's a tomboy or a princess. And she's definitely a princess. So we roll with it.
-Speaking of princess, she wants to grow up and live in a tower. Not any tower though, the one close to our house. Someday before we leave I need to take a picture of it. It's a gothic looking tower that sits at the entrance to a large cemetery. Josie is obsessed with it and swears she will live in it someday. Noah, being Noah, has told her that it's probably haunted by dead people, but she doesn't let that deter her. She's living in that tower. Good luck with that one, kiddo.
-She's stubborn. We've been down this road before with Noah. Stubborn is one of my favorite and least favorite traits. She knows her own mind and wants to do everything for herself. I think this is good, mostly. I hope that, like Noah, she learns to channel the stubbornness for (mostly) good...
-She loves to sing and dance and, like everything else in her life, she knows that she is very good at it. That is why she is always one of the loudest singers in her school or primary program(s) and one of the most enthusiastic dancers anytime she hears "her" music (I've had many an embarrassing moment in public with this one when one of her many songs comes on).
-She's fascinated with rolly pollys. But really, who isn't. She loves them though and is so, so very excited that the weather has warmed up and the rolly polly's are back!
-She's a great sister. Oh, she knows how to pester with the best of them (a trait I maintain she got from her dad) but she loves her brothers and sister. She lights up anytime the boys include her in anything and she's slowly but surely finding more and more games to play with Sammie as well (and, oh, how Sammie adores her).
-She's soooo fashion. She loves to dress up and accessorize and find things to wear that are "fashion" (meaning, things that look good to her little eye). She loves to pick out my clothes, Justin's clothes, Sammie's clothes, etc. She has style, that's for sure!
-She is very physically active. She loves to be outside now that the weather is nicer and ride her bike, find rolly pollys, blow bubbles, and run around.
-She's very friendly. She loves making new friends and usually makes friends everywhere we go. She's not shy at all and will often just walk up to someone new and introduce herself and start playing. Wherever we go, she seems constantly surrounded by friends. I think this will be great when we move.
-Her favorite restaurant is McDonalds and her favorite foods are fruit and candy (which she is constantly sneaking - it's sort of a problem).
-Her favorite songs right now are 'Let it Go' from Frozen, 'Timber' by Ke$ha and Pitbull, 'This Girl is on Fire' by Alicia Keyes, and 'That's what makes you Beautiful' by One Direction.
-Her best friends right now are Eavan and Clara.
I adore this girl of mine. Since she's such a strong personality, we struggle a bit and I anticipate that getting (hopefully only a little) worse before it gets better but I wouldn't want her any other way. She has so many qualities right now that I pray she keeps with her forever. When I was younger and dreamed about having a daughter of my own I hoped that she'd be pretty and funny and girly and smart but I couldn't have ever dreamed up a girl like Jo. She's more than I could have ever hoped for in a daughter. Happy birthday Josie. You light up my life in a million different ways and you make me a better person because I get to be your mom. I love you!

No comments: