He would stand at the window with his backpack and wait for the school bus to drive by and pick up the neighborhood kids. He would ask me every day if the bus was coming for him too.This was today:
Clayton woke up this morning and bounced everywhere. He was so excited to ride the bus and go to his new school. He was more obedient than I have ever seen him! When the bus rounded the corner he started jumping up and down screaming, 'I SEE THE BUS! I SEE THE BUS!'. Then I had to put him on it - SOB! (FYI - for step up day the bus only had other future kindergarteners on it.) I had to bite my lip to keep from crying. I'm assuming it will get easier - it better! When the school year starts Clayton will ride the bus to school and I will pick him up. Right after the bus left, I jumped in my car and stalked it:
Step up day was great. The kids were divided into groups and taken into a kindergarten classroom (not necessarily the one they will be in though) and had a mock kindergarten experience. Another FYI - the kindergarteners were in the first grade classrooms having their own step up day so all the kids in the room were going to be in Clayton's grade. The parents left the kids and went to a meeting where we were given tons of information about what to expect as far as academic standards, transportation, the PTO, the curriculum, etc. I'm sure I'll forget most of it before the day is over but I was promised a detailed packet in the mail!
Clayton had a great time. When the announcement was made that the parents had to leave the kids Clayton looked at me and said, 'Okay mom, go out of here - I've got to go to kindergarten.' He was one of the only kids who seemed excited for me to get out of there - SOB again! Why did I have to raise such an independent little guy?
The point is, Clayton had a GREAT time at step up day. I, on the other hand, spent the morning trying to keep my emotions in check. He's not even 5 yet for crying out loud! When did my baby get so big? He's going to do great in kindergarten - he's definitely ready for it. Me on the other hand, not so much. I honestly just kept remembering last year when he would stand at the window and wait for that bus. It's a good thing that his school has several events for the incoming kindergarteners before school starts (there are two more similar events in August). Maybe this way, by the time the school year actually starts I'll be ready. Don't count on it though...
10 comments:
ahhhh he is such a little independent isnt' he,.. wow. you've done a great job with him!
HA HA HA...I am laughing and crying at the same time.
What a cutie! I am very impressed with the school! Sounds awesome.
If you're a loon, I'm right there with you!! haha On the first day of school, I walk my kids up to the school bus (this is after a full photo shoot) take pictures and video of them at the bus stop, and then meet them at the school and walk them to their classrooms...and take more pictures there. hahaha
I would be like you, except Id probably stalk that bus everyday !!
Oh my heck he is getting so big. And I must say I am very impressed that your sis-in-law made that drive. That is some seriously loven for the Smith fam. WHat a blast your cute sisters were there. How fun!
Ok this made me tear up a little...I can't beleive Clayton is old enough ot start school. He is such a great kid and he is going to be amazing in school!
What a cool program for introducing your child to kindergarten...I wish they would have done something like that here in Vegas!
I think that is so good that he is so exited. I would way rather that than my child being scared and not wanting to go. He looks so cute in that first pic, you can tell he is very exited. I love that you drove behind the bus, so cute!
It is so hard! I was the same way with Wade and he was the same as Clayton--"see ya later , mom"--without a second thought :(.
I look at it this way: At least they know and are confident they are loved so they can be by themselves and try new things always knowing they have our love, support and our home to come back too :).
Post a Comment