Justin has been in Indiana for the past month doing an away rotation in family medicine. We hope to be able to go out there for residency so Justin went out there to make sure the program was everything he'd dreamed about. It was. He absolutely LOVED it out there. Every day when I would talk to him he would tell me how much he liked the program and the people in it. He feels that it would be a good fit for us. So keep your fingers crossed.
Anyway, life as a single mom this month has been rough. It wasn't as bad as I'd thought it would be (I always plan for the worst), but I'm sure glad I don't have to do it all the time. I gained a new level of respect for single parents. Especially ones who are working while they are raising their kids - I can't imagine how I would have done this if I'd had to work. I have had a glimpse at single parent-hood and I can honestly say that I am in awe of the single parents I know who are able to do this.
Things without Justin here have been trying, I've let a lot of things go (like actually fixing my hair, cooking "real" dinners - we've been living off of mac 'n' cheese baby, and running regular errands - we haven't been to the grocery store as often as we should have been, hence the mac 'n' cheese). It didn't start off too bad, but as the weeks have progressed I've definitely noticed that my sanity has taken a hit. I'm a lot edgier now than I was 5 weeks ago - and not the good, cool kind of edgy either!
However, I have to say that I have noticed A LOT of blessings in my life this month. Little gifts that have helped me get through. The first one - MY KIDS! Man alive these kids are amazing.
-Clayton has been super helpful. I worry that I'm too hard on him sometimes, but he's stepped up this month. He entertains Noah, cleans up without me having to ask twice, and - for the most part - has done everything I've asked of him. I am so grateful to have that kid in my life. I don't know that I could have done this without him (it sounds weird, but I really have relied on him to help me - and he has).
-Noah and I have struggled together this month. He takes his terrible two's very seriously. But, he has given me more hugs and kisses this month than I could count. I think he knows I need a little affection. He will run up to me and say, "Don't worry, I'm coming Mommy!". I love it!
-Josie. Bless her heart she's been sleeping all the way through the night starting pretty close to the time that Justin left. She's a good baby. Rarely fussy (although she seemed to always be crying when I'd talk to Justin - weird), very go-with-the-flow attitude that I needed her to have right now. I couldn't love this little girl more!
I've also had a lot of help from my amazing friends!
-Missy, Vanessa, Heather, and Kaylene - who would take my kids places or watch them so that I could get stuff done, hang out with me so that I could have adult conversations, help me get my kids into church, and call or email to check up on me. It was so nice knowing that I could count on them and call them whenever I needed something.
-Chase - Missy's husband who fixed our closet doors twice and went out to get medicine for a very bitten Noah.
-Corey who came to mow our lawn because Heaven knows I wasn't about to do it!
-Mindi who went out shopping with me just to get me out of the house.
And countless others who saw my needs and filled them, even if they don't realize that they did. Even though Justin was gone, I never felt alone!
As this month comes to an end I am able to realize just how blessed we've been. It's been full of ups and downs, laughter and tears, singing and screaming, and fun activities and horrible time outs (I did send all of us to our respective rooms one day). It was an interesting experience and it forced me to look at myself and the kind of mom I am. But hey, we did it and we all came out alive and (I think) the better for it! So single parents - I applaud you - your job is wicked hard.
I've missed my better half, my best friend, my husband. I'm so glad that our time apart is almost over! I can't remember the last time I was this excited about something.
When Justin left, Josie was 5 weeks old. She's 10 weeks now. It's crazy to me that he's missed half of her life so far (fortunately, she won't remember a thing). Last time he saw her she looked like this:
11 comments:
oh man !! I am soo glad it is over and soo happy you gained so much from that experience! I hope all works out for Indiana!! GOod luck!
It was really fun for us to have Justin here for the month and we really hope that you guys are able to come out here for residency.
I think you are super Mom. Justin would tell me the things that you were doing with the kids while he was gone and I just thought about how I have a hard enough time getting out of the house with three kids when I do have my husabnd around. You are amazing!
So he's probably home right about now! Yeah! I don't know how in the heck you did that for 5 weeks! Especially with a little newborn. I'm glad Josie is being such a good baby for you. She really is a doll and I love her little ensamble in that last picture. She is "tu-tu" cute! Man, I'm funny. ;) And her pearls...love them. I'm so glad you are taking full advantage of having a girl. It's so fun, huh?!
Oh, my gosh girl, you are amazing!! I'm so glad he is home now! And, the tu tu pic is adorable.
WOW - you are brave! That is a long time for Justin to be gone, but as is said "Absence makes the heart grow fonder..." it seems like when those close to us are away, we become more grateful for all they do. Plus, it's nice to have him feel good about the next step in his training!
Josie looks absolutely adorable in the last picture!!!!
That's crazy you've been on your own for so long! You're awesome. It's nice to have occasional experiences that make you really appreciate what you've got.
Just FYI - I'm going to be setting my blog to private pretty soon. If you want an invite, leave a comment with your email address or just email me (it's listed on my most recent post). :-)
You're amazing! 5 weeks would seem like an eternity- at least it wasn't in the dead of winter. I think I would REALLY lose it in that situation. Glad to hear you are all together again. And Josie is so cute in her tutu!
Cutest picture of ever of Josie in her tutu! Very cute! Wow, Justin has been gone for 5 weeks! That would be sooooo hard! It sounds like you've done well though, way better than I would have done!
I am glad that Justin is back now!! However I have a bone to pick with you because I was not mentioned for how much I helped you and, therefore, we are now in a NOT secret fight!!
Aaron was gone for 5 days about a month ago, and it was tough, and I only have Daniel. My respect for single parents really went up though. So, I can't imagine what you must have been feeling. Yay for good kids! YAY for husbands!!!
Ariane,
Sorry I am just getting back to you. I am a slacker. I am glad that you have you husband back. It is so hard to have them gone for so long, especially with a new baby.
Having Justin over at our house and hearing him talk about your family, I feel like we already know you. Hopefully you can come and join us is South Bend in a year. We will keep our fingers crossed! Tell Justin thanks again for all his help!
Carissa
Post a Comment