Monday, January 7, 2008

When did he get so big?

Clayton at 4 months

Clayton as a Sunbeam






He is so big! Clayton started Sunbeams yesterday.Maybe, as a parent, you always have a hard time accepting the fact that your kids are growing up and becoming more and more independent. Don't get me wrong, I love watching him grow, it's just hard sometimes to accept the fact that he isn't a baby anymore. He has opinions on everything, his own likes and dislikes, chooses what friends to play with, and has a great sense of humor. I am always trying to pinpoint exactly when all of this happened (I never can though). There is a book out there called "Let Me Hold You Longer", by Karen Kingsbury. It's a picture book narrated by a mother about her son growing up. I highly recommend it, especially when you are in a sentimental mood! It totally says what I am feeling right now. I know it may seem silly that I am feeling this way, but Sunbeams just seems like the first real "big kid" thing that he has done. I know that there are a lot of times in his life when I am going to feel sentimental and a little sad at how grown-up he is getting, but a part of me really misses the baby he used to be. That being said, I love who he is now and I love that he is old enough to be in Sunbeams. He had a rough first day. He wanted to run around the whole time like he was still in nursery. I think this is a tough transition. He will adjust though. It was great being able to see him in sharing time and I am excited to see him in the program at the end of the year! What a big kid!

10 comments:

Kerstin said...

I was thinking about you and Clyton yesterday as I watched the new sunbeams in our ward. It is sad that our kids grow up so fast but it is also so fun to see them learn and start new things.

The Jones Fam said...

When I first looked at the picture I was thinking it was Noah and I was surprised at how much he looked like Clayton....then I saw that it WAS Clayton, just younger. It is amazing how fast they grow up!

Jen said...

If Clayton's old, does that mean we're old?

Fart.

Oooh, and it's your real birthday this year, huh! Exciting. Yea for 28. Thus far 28 has been a good age for me, so I'll try to pass that on to you.

Rachel said...

Adam taught sunbeams last year, and the first Sunday of the New Year was always like a zoo. They'd settle down pretty quickly, though. I'm sure Clayton do the same. I like Easton at the age he is now. I wouldn't ever want him to be a baby again, but I certainly don't want him to grow up anymore. Too bad we can't pause them at the perfect age.

Cherine said...

Yea for Clayton. I feel ya. I was thinking about this year and what lies ahead. So much progression happens to our little ones in just one year. Its hard to digest it and sadly it happens too quickly!

I'll have to check out that book!

The Bryner Bunch said...

I know they grow too fast!!! Thanks for the advice on the sippy cups with straws...I will definitely try it out and I think that those kind are better for their teeth anyway. Clayton is a big boy now...watch out! It seems like Wade grew-up overnight! Now he is a CTR!!! That is so weird to me and I am his Aunt! I'm sure I will be feeling sentimental/sad like you when Logan hits that big milestone of going to primary. Cute pics!

Ellsworth Family said...

Wow, Clayton is getting so old, but luckily he gets cuter with age!! It is so crazy that he is in sunbeams, the kids in our ward that are in sunbeams seem so old, and I have Clayton frozen in my memory as a baby, so that is just crazy!!

Erica said...

It is Crazy that he is a sunbeam! That does seem like a big transition. I'm pretty sure I'll be a mess when Gavin goes to sunbeams, so I'm glad I'm not the only one that has a hard time with changes!

Nat said...

He looks so big in those pictures! Change is hard as a mother- especially when your babies get so big! I am having a hard time with Niah turning three, where has the time gone?!

. said...

So true! It is amazing how quickly time flies by and the older the kids get, the faster it seems to go.