Today my little boy started school. We've all been looking forward to this day (some of us with excitement and some of us with dread) and finally, it came. The day began with Justin and I waking up early to get things started. I got Clayton's lunch all packed and ready while Justin prepared a special beginning of school breakfast - chocolate chip pancakes!! When we woke Clayton up he was initially very confused, he kept asking me if we could use the same towel he used last night - what!?! So I asked, "Who's ready for kindergarten today?" to which Noah sat up in bed and enthusiastically responded, "CLAYTON IS!" After that (and once Clayton became more lucid), things got rolling. He scarfed down his breakfast in record time - which is saying something considering the fact that Clayton is a VERY slow eater (it's the Peterson in him). After breakfast, Clayton finally got to wear his new school clothes and shoes (which he's been looking forward to for a while now).

He was so excited about his 'rock and roll' shirt and his new shoes. I think he may be slightly disappointed when he can't wear them (the shirt anyway) again tomorrow!

Then Justin gave him a really nice blessing which has been a tradition in my family as long as I can remember and I'm really glad that we got to keep that tradition alive with my kids. Before I knew it, Missy and Enoch were at our house and it was time to meet the bus!

We're very fortunate that the bus stop is the edge of our driveway. There is one other boy who gets picked up with Clayton. Clayton was so excited that he literally couldn't stop talking.
"I'm Clayton I'm going to be in kindergarten my teacher is going to be Mrs. Brown I'm riding the bus I have a lunchbox it's yellow and has Bumblebee on it do you have a lunchbox are you riding the bus who is your teacher what's your name..." You get the idea. Poor boy didn't have a moment to attempt to answer any of Clayton's questions. He probably thinks Clayton is a little strange.

Clayton nearly jumped out of his skin when the bus pulled up. He was so excited to ride the bus. I hope this excitement continues all year. I know he's supposed to be big to go to school, but man, he sure does look grown up!

He was so cute. He kept smiling and waving to us from the window.

After the bus pulled away, Justin and I quickly jumped on our bikes and raced down to the school so that we could be there to see Clayton when he got off and make sure that he made it to where he was supposed to be.

There was a person whose sole job was to catch the kindergarteners coming off the bus and hand deliver them to their classrooms. I was really happy about that. Clayton was so excited though that he kept trying to escape from the pack and get to his classroom. He was trying really hard not to run in the halls, but he was just so excited! Once we got to his classroom, he found his teacher and, again, started talking without breathing.
"Hi Mrs. Brown I'm ready for kindergarten should I put my lunchbox in my cubby should I hang my backpack on my hook I have papers for you in my backpack..." Fortunately, Mrs. Brown was involved in a conversation with another parent so I'm guessing she missed a big chunk of his rant. I love his teacher. She seems so patient and kind. I think Clayton is going to love her. He's going to have a wonderful year in her class!

Hanging up his backpack.


Coloring with a new friend.

I have to say, dropping him off wasn't as hard as I'd anticipated. Maybe I'd just cried myself out over the past few weeks waiting for this event to finally take place. Noah and I sure did miss him today though. Fortunately, Noah had his best bud over all morning to help ease the pain (I think once he realizes that Clayton is going to be gone every day it's really going to be hard on him). I took so many pictures of Clayton today that these boys really wanted their pictures taken too. Funny.

This afternoon I sat on my front steps and waited for my guy to get off the bus. He bounced off the bus with just as much excitement as he'd bounced on it with. Phew - the day must have been a success! He wouldn't let us go back inside until the bus had pulled away. I made him chocolate chip cookies so once we got inside we got to sit and eat cookies and milk and talk about his day (which we could do because Noah and Josie were both napping).



He wasn't able to recall much, but I could tell that he had a great first day and he is definitely looking forward to going back. What I do know about his day:
1. He made a few new friends (yay).
2. He ate almost all of his lunch (but not the dessert, interesting).
3. He loved the snack
4. He listened to the teacher read stories.
5. Circle time was his favorite.
I'm proud of this kiddo and how well he seemed to do today. I think this will be an appropriate way to end:
I told him yesterday that I was really going to miss him when he was gone all day. He responded to me like this,
"I know mom, but don't worry, I'll always come back."
9 comments:
Thank you for the post, I loved all the play by plays, I am sooo sad that I missed his first day of school, he is so grown! I am glad that he loved his first day, and that he made friends!!
SO SWEET!!!!
Im so glad it all went well (for both of you :)!) Congrats!
I am glad that you posted all the details. I am not going to lie this post made me a little sad, I can't believe he is old enough to be in Kindergarten, it doesn't seem like he should be that old yet.But it sounds like Clayton had a great first day of school!He looks so handsome and I love his rock and roll outfit.
Too cute! WE have BIG kids now!
Aw, cute. Crazy he's in school. And I'm thinking Noah now has a good (and adorable) way to pass things onto his brother: "Clayton is!"
Awww, I love that last line. This post is so cute it made me tear up a bit. I'm an emotional crazy lady. It's so crazy for me to think of Reese in a few short years doing the same thing. I'm glad he enjoyed it. What a happy and outgoing little guy!
I just did a similar post about Jaylee. I love that he assaulted the little boy with tons of questions and comments, so cute :) My Jaybird is also quite the talker. Also, so cute that he told you he will always come back, what a considerate son :)
This post was so sweet Ariane, it almost made me cry! I can't believe Clayton is in school. Man, time flies! Hard to believe we're all 4th years.
Post a Comment