Friday, April 20, 2012

Three...the celebration!

**Long one: little narration, gobs of pictures**

This year for her birthday, Josie got a bike. As you can see, we first had to pry it away from her daddy:
 I had to make a new 'girlier' birthday banner. So now I have one for the boys and one for the girls. Ahh, feels good to have balance in my life.
Josie has been waking up pretty early these days (6:30) and, because she's very newly potty trained, I'm always a bit hesitant to send her back to bed so we just get up early around here. Typically she lays in bed with me until my alarm to wake Clayton goes off but this morning we (me, her, and Justin) were so excited. She knew it was her birthday and we couldn't wait to see her reaction to her new bike. We weren't disappointed!
It took her a while to figure out how to ride it, but she's getting better by the day. It won't be long before she's outside racing the boys!
What good is getting a new bike if you don't get a new helmet? A princess helmet no less. It came with an extra bell so now her bike has two bells on it (which won't be so bad now that it's outside with the other bikes, but having it in the house was...let's say...less than ideal).
Since she was so excited, she ferreted out her birthday outfit and had it on before Justin or I could stop her.
This year I took a long thin strip of fabric, ruffled it, and used liquid stitch to attach it to the shirt. After this experience I told Justin I may never sew again. Liquid stitch is where it's at!! (BTW, this is my favorite birthday shirt so far.)
Then it was on to the traditional breakfast of muffins and eggs. She was so excited to blow out candles this year!
After we got Noah off to school her best girlfriend Clara came over to spend the morning with us. She was so thoughtful and got Josie the cutest little cupcake making kit. So, of course, we made cupcakes (and do it dressed like princesses).
The day before her birthday we were at the store stocking up on a few last minute supplies. When I got to the checkout counter I noticed that a Hello Kitty cupcake decorating kit had mysteriously appeared. I figured that we'd get it anyway (usually I tell the clerk to put back these 'mystery' items) and decorate cupcakes on her birthday, so this worked out perfectly with the kit that Clara had given her!
 Josie's biggest problem was decorating her cupcake instead of eating the decorations!

 Cute Clara!
When Clara came over to play she had two gifts. One was the cupcake kit in a bag and the other was in a big box. Clara's mom told me that it was a special gift that Clara had decorated by herself. It was a hat! Josie looked at it and kept whispering (in hushed, reverent tones), "Ooooh, a fancy hat!" I must admit, it's pretty dang cute.
 Glitter, feathers, shells, flowers, rocks, lace, fancy indeed!
 I think it's a super cute gift from one sweet little girl to another.
After that we had a busy day. We went to McDonald's for lunch (birthday girl's choice) where she got a princess purse full of accessories, had a much needed nap time (who needed it more is a toss up between me and the birthday girl), we went to Clayton's first baseball practice of the season, and finally back home to open a few last gifts before bedtime.

This is my favorite right now. When you ask her how old she is, this is how she shows you three. Justin and I have considered showing her the traditional way but decided (quickly) against it. I love this:
Opening presents before bedtime. Nekked birthday girl. She got a ballerina card from the Petersens (a.k.a. - our better halves). She loves that card. How fun to be a little kid and have the simplest things bring you such joy!
Then she opened her gift from Aunt Missy and co. A dress, a pair of jammies, hair assessories, and little markers (which, sorry Miss, had to be temporarily confiscated). She loved it all and has already worn the dress and the jammies. Thanks Aunt Missy, Uncle Jared, Abby, and baby to be named later. (**Although Justin would like you to know that he thinks 'Justin' is an excellent name, ensuring that your kid would be undeniably awesome.**)


This is the next morning, but on her birthday she wouldn't stand still long enough for me to take a picture of her cute chef's hat and apron. Remember how Clara got her a cupcake kit for her birthday? Well, Clara's mom is uber-talented and sewed this chef's hat and apron to go with it. I've examined it closely (because I'm obsessed by people who are talented enough to sew things that look like they could be sold in a store) and there is nary a mistake on it. I'm blown away. It's perfect and adorable...
 ...just like my little chef!
The day after her birthday was another big one. A right of passage, if you will. Josie got her first big haircut! In fact, this is the second haircut she's ever had in her whole life. Her first was when we were in Vegas for Ashley's wedding but she was so crabby and jet-lagged that all we could get her to sit for was a trim. Justin didn't particularly like the idea of getting her hair cut. He loved her long hair. I liked it too, but it was getting pretty stringy and if I didn't braid it every day it would get so tangly. It was pretty annoying so I knew it was time. Josie was pretty excited too!
Before:
 During:
She kept holding up pieces and saying, "Look at my haircuts!" I was pretty nervous (mostly about how Justin would react), but I was certain it was going to be adorable!
 I know this isn't a ton of hair, but she got 2-3 inches cut off! When you're three, and your hair is kind of thin to begin with, this is a TON of hair! (I'm hoping it'll grow in a little thicker.)
 After:
She freaked out a little as it was getting round brushed. She HATES bathroom hand dryers (so much so that she'll throw herself on the ground and roll away 'stop-drop-and-roll' style to get away from them) so I knew she was going to struggle with the blow dryer. She flipped until our hairdresser handed her a mirror. Then she went from scared to critical. Love her face in this pic:
 It turned out SO cute! I love it, she loves it, and even Justin admitted that it's really cute (although he did mention how much older it made her look - which is true, and sad).



Because of Clayton's baseball practice the night of her actual birthday, we had cake and ice cream the next night with Jared, Kerstin, and their kids. Josie got a very pink Hello Kitty cake this year. She loved it!
When it was time to blow out candles she was, once again, thrilled. She didn't really understand that she needed to get closer to the candles though.
 Fortunately, Uncle Jared stepped in to help her.
 When I asked her to smile, this was what I got:
After cake, she opened her gift from her cousins: a cinderella dress up dress. Ummm, perfect gift? Absolutely! Thanks guys, she's been living in it!

I had promised her on her birthday that we'd paint her toenails but because we were so busy it just didn't happen. Well, we finally got around to painting them this morning. She chose purple. She adores having her toenails painted. I sit her on the counter and she sits statue still until they are painted and dry. I admit, sometimes I tell her they take longer to dry then they actually do because it keeps her still for (no joke) 20 minutes. I know of nothing else that keeps her still that long.
So now she's three. Wild! Is it weird that, almost overnight, she seems to have grown up into a kid instead of a toddler (perhaps I should blame the haircut)? Happy birthday Jo, I am grateful every day that you are in our family. You light up our lives, keep us on our toes, and make sure that every day is an adventure! We love you!

1 comment:

Jen said...

Aw, she's so cute! What a fun couple of days of birthday celebrations for her. Her hair cut is so adorable. Also, a hand-made "fancy hat" (awww) is such a fun idea. As is Josie's adorable ruffled "3" shirt. What, pray tell, is liquid stitch?! Now I need some.

Very wonderful birthday post, as usual. Hooray birthdays.