Friday, July 25, 2008

The Greatest Day Ever!

**This is a long one -- but there are also a lot of really cute pics -- Enjoy!**
Yesterday was Clayton's fourth birthday. He had the greatest day (I think)! It all began when Noah and I went into his room to sing him happy birthday. He was beaming from ear to ear! He loves to sing the Happy Birthday song and he got so excited when he realized that we were singing it to him. Then he got to eat a special birthday breakfast. I made him muffins and scrambled eggs. I put a candle in the muffin. He (and Noah) thought that was the coolest thing.

He also got to open a present at breakfast! His loving brother gave him an action figure (Clayton loved it so much that he slept with it last night)! Noah, you have such good taste!
After breakfast, Clayton got to get dressed in his "special birthday shirt". I made him this shirt a couple of days ago. He sat and watched me make it and has been asking me if he can wear it since the day I made it. I love how much he loves it! (One day he is going to realize that his mom isn't all that crafty and he won't want to be caught dead in the stuff I make for him, but I figure I still have a couple of years before that happens.)
The thing he loved best about this shirt was the big number 4 on the back. He thought that this was a team jersey. He kept telling me and Justin, "I am a team! I am a team!"
We were going to go and spend the morning at the park (one of Clayton's favorite activities), but the weather was not cooperating. It was so wet and rainy that we were forced to stay indoors. Clayton didn't mind that though. It meant that he got to watch cartoons and play with his new toy (and what could be better than that)!
For lunch, the boys got a special treat! We went to McDonalds! On the way, we stopped to pick up Clayton's friend Gavin. Plus, all the rest of Clayton's friends were waiting for us at McDonalds!
I had to throw in this one of Noah. Lately he can't go anywhere without wearing his Superman cape. I let him do it because I think it's so funny and cute!
It was a fun (and very loud) lunch. We got a couple of whithering stares from the kidless diners as we ate, but it was lunchtime at McDonalds, what did people expect? If you want a nice, quiet lunch go somewhere else!
When we got home from lunch, Clayton got to open another present. Uncle Jared, Aunt Kerstin, Landon, Tori, and Ella sent him a package of matchbox cars!! If you know Clayton at all, you realize what a great present this is. It was the perfect present to get right before "quiet time". He got to take those cars to his Hot Wheels City and spend some time just driving around!
Later, when Justin got home, Clayton got to open another present! Aunt Anisha and Uncle Ben sent him a very cool carrying case for his Hotwheels/Matchbox cars. He LOVES it! Great gift Aunt Anisha and Uncle Ben! (I swear I took a picture of him opening it, but all the pictures I took were too dark to post - sorry Anisha.)
For dinner he told us that he wanted pizza. I put another candle in his pizza (which I thought would be really fun) but Clayton wasn't impressed with that. He told me, "Mom, no more candles in pizza".
After dinner it was time for another fun surprise! We took the boys to Toys R Us so that Clayton could pick out a couple of birthday presents! Justin and I hadn't actually gotten him anything and we thought that he would get a kick out of this. We were not disappointed! The second we pulled into the parking lot Clayton started screaming, "It's the TOY STORE! It's the TOY STORE!!"
We were there for about an hour. He ended up choosing a couple of Hot Wheels (naturally), a rug for his bedroom that looks like a little city that he can drive his cars on, and a leap pad. As we were leaving the store, Clayton wanted to ride on the fire truck. Normally I would say no and just leave but Justin decided that, because it was his birthday, he should be allowed to ride it.
Right after we got home, Rick and Vanessa came over for birthday cake and ice cream! Clayton had requested a red cake with hearts (I have no idea why he was so specific about this - it's such a random thing for my kid to request). So I dyed a yellow cake (it ended up being pink) but I think it was super tasty and Clayton seemed happy with it!
(Notice Noah in the corner of this one - he's trying to blow out the candles! I think he's going to have a fun birthday this year too!)

Once again, someday Clayton is going to realize that I am not that ceative or crafty, this cake looks a little ragged. But hey, it was red(ish) and had hearts on it!
After dessert, he got to play with his new toys. He was in Heaven! He even got to stay up for an extra half an hour to play!
All in all it was a great day. I love birthdays. I think that the idea of celebrating an individual person just for being born is wonderful! Now we just need to survive the party on Saturday...

11 comments:

Kerstin said...

It looks like Clayton had a great Birthday! I think it is cool that you let him pick out his own gifts, I may have to steal that idea from you. He looks so cute and happy in all of his pictures. I think you are a great Mom for making his birthday such a fun and special day for him.
P.S. It is so cute that Noah wears that cape everwhere.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Clayton!
You all look great, and so happy!
=)

Melissa said...

What a fun day! That's a great idea to let him pick out his presents!!

Jen said...

Holy crap you're a fun mom. I love the idea of letting him pick out presents at the toy store, and how excited he was when you pulled into the parking lot. I wish birthdays were as fun now as they were when we were younger. Or maybe that we had less inhibitions and allowed ourselves to enjoy birthdays as much as we did then. That's probably more what it is.

And how was Clayton's mom after a long fun birthday? It really does look like such a fun day. I bet you had a blast.

Anonymous said...

What a great mom you are! Hey, i loved the cake... i looks tasty! That is cute that he was sick of the candles!! Oh, i wish my birthdays were that eventfull!!

Nat said...

I'm glad he had such a great day. McDonalds was fun- even though it was loud. Niah had a blast! We can't wait for the party tomorrow.

Cherine said...

What a great day I agree! Love the shirt! I too am not creative. I can cook but baking cakes is not my thing. You do it and it works. I still buy my cakes at the bakery. I know I am lame-o!

Cherine said...

Oh ya my hubby applied at Vermont. Keeping our fingers crossed that he even gets in!!! =)

Erica said...

What a fun birthday! You are always so creative and doing fun things for your boys. I love the shirt!

Kutitap said...

Try using Toys R Us coupons next time to save money. Get them at http://www.toysruscoupons.org

Melody said...

Are you kidding? I have been catching up on everybody on here I am glad to see what you have been up to, your family is gorgeous as are you!