Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Holiday Weekend

I know that you all are waiting for San Fran: Part 2, and don't worry, it's coming. I just needed to post our 4th of July weekend pics before it got too late! We had a really relaxed 4th this year. We started out our day in search of some fireworks. I think (and I may be wrong - but I doubt it) that fireworks of any kind are illegal in this state. All we could find were "smokeworks". Justin said that next year we need to find the nearest indian reservation so that we could get the good stuff!
We ended up just having a BBQ with a family in our ward and lighting our lame "smokeworks" in the street. The kids were entertained though and that's what really matters. I also wanted the boys to have sparklers this year but - as with all the other good fireworks - I think they are illegal. We couldn't find them. So the kids did poppers instead. I think I actually prefer that though in hindsight. You can't do as much damage with poppers.
Anyway, that was our holiday. We didn't even get to see any good city sponsored fireworks because they did their big fireworks display on the 3rd. (Is that dumb to anyone else?) All in all, it was a good 4th. It was really low stress for me this year, which was really nice. We just got to sit back and enjoy each others company.


On the 5th, we decided to take the kids to the beach. There is the most amazing beach here. It's called the Sandbar and it is perfect for kids! The beach is nice and sandy so it's good for little bare feet, the water is clear, and it is shallow for about 1/4 of a mile. Clayton can walk out quite a ways and only be up to his waist! It was the perfect day for the beach. We packed a picnic and all our beach gear and ended up spending several hours playing and having a great time!
The boys L-O-V-E-D the beach! The second we got there, they both took off like a shot towards the water. They couldn't get enough!



I don't know if these pictures are good enough to illustrate how shallow the water is, but I love it. I am a constant worrier and so the beach gives me a little anxiety, but the clear, shallow water definitely helps to alleviate some of my concerns! Clayton loved to go "deep" he kept going farther and farther (with Justin) and saying to me, "Mom, look how deep I am! Take my picture!"


Justin and Clayton attempted to build a sandcastle. It was going pretty well until Clayton decided he wanted to 'decorate' it with seashells that he was finding. He kept pushing them into the castle pretty hard and that was the end of that.



Noah's favorite beach activity was picking up handfuls of dirt and mud and throwing it into the water. No surprise there. This kid loves a good muddy mess!



We had such a great time. It was nice to be able to spend so much time together as a family this weekend. I think one of the great blessings of moving to Vermont was that it forced us to rely on each other more. It has definitely made us closer as a family. We really enjoy all the time we get to be together. It was a great weekend and I am really sad that it's over!

12 comments:

Kerstin said...

I am sorry that all fireworks seem to be illegal in Vermont. Out here I don't think that any are illegal we are still hearing loud booms at random times of the day. I am jealous of your trip to the beach, I'd like to go to one out here but I think that will have to wait until next year, oh well. It sounds and looks like you had a great weekend. I love the boys 4th of July shirts!

Nat said...

I'm glad you had a fun weekend. Your trip to San Fran sounded like so much fun!! I am also sad that the guys are back in school, it's so nice to have them around.

Jen said...

Dang hippies and their laws against fireworks. Lame. And it's SO lame they did the city's display on the 3rd. Who does that?

That beach looks like it's the best place for kids. I'm sure the water felt so nice, too. It looks like you guys had a really fun, cool 4th weekend. I'm totally jealous you live near a beach.

Cherine said...

How fun to live near the beach. Is the water cold? Your boys are cuties!

The Jones Fam said...

That does look like the best beach for children! When we took Jaylee to the beach in San Diego last year she was a bit intimidated by the big waves. As for what my family did for the 4th, we usually pack it with so many activities. This was just the first time we all got together since my parents left on their mission

Erica said...

What a fun week! Your San Francisco pictures looked so cute! It sounds like you had a great time. I can't wait to see you.

Anonymous said...

I love keeping up with you guys through your blog. I especially love the Clayton stories. A volvo would make anyone feel better (safer, at least)! =) Hello from everyone at UNLV!
Rychelle

Anonymous said...

We don't know each other, but I saw you through another blog and saw that you're in vermont. Your pics sure make me miss the area! I grew up on the NY side of Lake Champlain. I have no idea how long you've been there or how much longer you'll be there but I hope you don't mind if I tell you some good places you have to get to. If you take the drive around the lake to NY via the Lake champlain bridge, which in itself is beautiful, there is a little ice cream stand on the Vt side called Tutti's you have to stop by. On the Ny side of teh bridge is Fort Crown Point- lots of history, park etc. Fort Ticonderoga isn't far from here either. From the bridge, head towards Port Henry (a tiny town- but hey they all are), there is a hot dog place called Emil's that serves michigan hot dogs. You have to get one to trly sample a Ny/Adirondack staple. In Port Henry is a cute little beach called Bulwagga bay, but there is even better swimming/picnicing/camping at Lincoln Pond just outside Elizabethtown. You should also get to Lake Placid and go up Whiteface Mountain for spectacular views. Lake Placid had teh olympics in 1980 and you can see the skis slopes, etc. of this are. cute little shops along main street as well. Ausable Chasm is fun too. Anyway, hope you don't mind insight from a local. Have fun! It's such a gorgeour area back there.

Anonymous said...

Forgot to tell you there's lots of great hiking there too. Poke-o-moonshine is a great hike and not intense,also Baxter Mt as is Mount Marcy/Marcy Dam/Avalance Lake. If you get the chance, try to go see how they sugar- make maple syrup sometime. It's interesting and everywhere tehre. I hope you've gotten to the Ben and Jerry's factory in Vermont. The Teddy bear factory is okay, but not as good as it used to be. Middlebury college often has some great concerts and in NY there are great summer concerts from many of teh Julliard students who spend the summer at Meadowmount. TOns of concerts up and down both sides of the lake in the parks. Many of the marinas have a lot of teh info about goingons.

Anonymous said...

Looks like fun!!! That water looks great! Your boys are so stankin cute!

Kerstin said...

Jared and I got a kick out of the Volvo story. Very funny! That Clayton is a character.

Melissa said...

Looks like a fun 4th of July. Fun beach! Our kids loved it too!