Each kid started out by getting an apron filled with some stuff that you need to be a construction worker (tape measure, woodworking pencil, fruit snacks, granola bar, juice box) and a hardhat. Then (the night before) I got a couple of big oven/dryer boxes, Justin cut holes in them, I cut out curtains and a door for them, and we turned them into "houses". Then I got a bunch of paints and markers and the kids had to "build" the houses. They had a blast!


Those houses turned out so cute! I can't figure out what I am going to do with them now, but it was such a great activity!
Clayton (who woke up at 5:45 telling me it was party time) kept saying, "Mom, we're all workers!" They were too. Those kids worked really hard on those houses.
We also had a "demolition" game, where we stacked up a bunch of empty boxes (we'd been saving boxes for weeks) and the kids tried to knock them down with a tennis ball. I should have taken more pictures of this game, but someone had to keep stacking those boxes (the only downfall of that game)!
The swingset was, as always, another big hit. The kids spent a good amount of time swinging and sliding! We also had a yummy BBQ. (Justin was so good about helping me with this party. He made some really yummy food!) While we ate, Clayton got to open his gifts. His friends know him sooo well! He got great gifts that were just perfect for him!

Noah and Carter loved Clayton's presents just as much as Clayton did!

After the gifts had all been opened, it was time for cake! I found a picture in a magazine ('Family Fun' - it's my new favorite) of a construction cake that I tried to make. It was my first attempt at making a cake that was actually supposed to "be" something. It totally did NOT look like the picture, but Clayton loved it and I was pretty proud of it too!
I love how puffy his cheeks get when he blows out candles.
Right after he blew out his candles it started to rain (can you say "perfect timing")! The party was scheduled to go to 5:00 and the rain started at 4:57. I wish it wouldn't have rained at all, but if it had to rain (which apparently it did), it rained at the perfect time.
Here is Noah standing in the rain as we rush to bring everything inside.
Thankfully, all of our wonderful guests helped us hustle to get everything inside. Then we ate our cake in the house and that was pretty much the end of Clayton's 4th B-Day Bash! It was so much fun and so worth all the stress it gave me. I don't think we'll be having parties like that every year, but I think that every couple of years a big party is perfect! After everyone had left and the cleanup was almost over Clayton came up to me and said, "That was a great party mom! I had so much fun with my friends!" Just knowing how appreciative he was melted my heart. Thanks to everyone who came! I think (hope) this is going to be a memorable birthday for him!
17 comments:
That cake is adorable! You did a great job. And those little houses . . .. So cute.
It looks and sounds like Clayton had a great birthday party. You are so creative with all the fun games you came up with and the cake. I bet Clayton loved it!
The party was so much fun. YOu had some really cute things for the kids to do. Niah loved it and Chloe's messy face and clothes were enough to show that she loved it too! Thanks for a fun time and great food. You are quite the party thrower!!
That cake looks awesome! YOu are more creatinve than you give yourself credit for! That is sweet that he thanked you for the party! I love when kids are so sweet!!
It looks like fun was had by all!! I hate that you say you are not crafty, because you totally are, and that cake was super cute!!
Wowsers! You are quite the party planner! I love the cake and especially the twinkie fork lift part. So cute and creative. I'm the same as you as far as loving throwing things like that, but getting stressed out over it. What a fun idea with building the houses. And the nice thing about him being 4 is that he will remember this fun party that his sweet mom put together for him.
What a great party. You always have such great ideas. We are so sad that we missed out on all the fun. Please give Clayton a big birthday hug from Gretchen!
You did such a cute job with the cake I love it!!! It seems like everyone had so much fun, I'm sad I missed it.
Love ya tons
XOXO
What a cute little mom you are, and I do mean little. Ha ha! That party was so cute and so creative. I absolutely love what Clayton said to you at the end. It totally would have melted my heart too!
WHAT are you kidding I have been looking up everybody! Please feel free! You have a gorgeous family and its great to see what you have been up to all these years! You look fabulous!
That is such a fun and unique idea for a b-day bash. Easton is turning 3 in December and I want to give him a party since I never have. What a great idea to just give kids a bunch of boxes. And the cake is so cute!
What a cool idea for the theme! Looks like the kids loved it. I love all the little constuction hats on the kids.
You are one creative mommy! What an amazing party and I LOVE the construction theme! Your cake looked great too! I'm sure you put a lot of work in the whole thing, but it looks like it was worth it. Happy B-day Clayton:)
That was such a cute party!! It made me want to make cardboard houses. Ü I am impressed with your creativity, you put us all to shame. And the cake is so cute too.
You asked how I did my blog- Bryan's sister did it for me. I don't have the program to do it on my computer so I don't know how!!
You are amazing!! What a great idea for a party. Looks like the kids had a blast!
What a great party! I'm glad you're a Family Fun reader too- I'm obsessed with that magazine, I love it. I have yet to throw a real part for Baylie, but I agree a themed party is the way to go!
Post a Comment